Everyone who is looking for a job wants to excel during the interview. But some candidates completely miss the point.
A recent CareerBuilder survey found that one applicant chanted to answer all questions; another had a job interview over the phone from the bathroom and then moved on.
“It’s hard to say why people do things like this,” CareerBuilder’s Rosemary Haefner told Business Insider. “Maybe it’s nervousness and he or she thinks an employer finds it funny. Or perhaps the candidate simply knows no boundaries.”
“Those kinds of actions can cost you the job,” Haefner says. “So funny or not, it’s not worth taking such risks. You can get completely stiff from the tension if the attention is fully focused on you. That’s normal, but it’s very important how you deal with it.”
More than 26,000 employers told CareerBuilder the most notable mistakes they made in job interviews. Here are the 25 Weirdest Things That Happened:
• When a candidate was asked what his ideal job was, he replied “bird house painter” while applying to be an administrative assistant.
• A candidate said she has perfect hair when asked why she should join the team.
• When asked why he wanted the job, one candidate replied, “My wife wants me to get a job.”
• One candidate said he didn’t want to wear long trousers because they don’t fit well.
• A candidate said during an interview that the interviewer must hire him if she wants to get to heaven.
• A candidate asked if he could go away to call his wife. He wanted to ask if the starting salary was enough before moving on to the interview.
• A candidate brought his children’s toys to the job interview.
• A candidate started yelling that the interview was taking too long.
• A candidate ate a pizza he brought with him (without sharing).
• A candidate said she was a medium.